- Diese Veranstaltung hat bereits stattgefunden.
GameChanger – a project by CCPA and SUPERMARKT
24. August 2022 @ 08:00 - 1. März 2023 @ 17:00
GameChanger is a research and mediation project extending from March 2022 till February 2023. The project is funded by Hauptstadtkulturfonds (HKF) and is curated by Yael Sherill – Curatorial Collective for Public Art (CCPA) and Ela Kagel – SUPERMARKT.
Project Management: Lianne Mol (CCPA).
In collaboration with (growing list): Trust, Haus der Statistik, Omsk Social Club, Caroline Woolard and Cassie Thornton.
The aim of the project is to explore contemporary mindsets and cultures of self-organization and work in the cultural field.
In the wake of the frequent political, economic, environmental and health crises, there is an urgency to reflect and rethink the stagnant power structures, latent resource allocation, conventional valorisation metrics and commonplace governance practices in the cultural sector. While the predominant response to this urgency in both cultural advocacy circles, as well as independent initiatives is to focus on the development of solution-driven tools and tactics, GameChanger aims to dive into the underlying complex and ethereal dispositions, spirits and motivations of developing alternative economic and governance models for the art commons.
How much is collaboration and participation driving the institution? How is competition managed? Who participates in decision making and resource allocation and in which capacity? Is art a common good? Which forms of ownership are explored? Does the system rely on intrinsic or extrinsic incentives? Is non-monetary value production accounted for? What about the future?
As a research methodology, we are curating a series of three artist residencies, in which small transdisciplinary teams conduct artistic research and develop public art projects. The core of the team is an artist – “the game master” – whose practice is performative and immersive, and representatives of collectives, proto-institutions, cooperatives or DAOs that are experimenting with self-organization in culture – “the game changers”. The residencies address both individuals active in the art and culture scene, as well as the general public, who are active stakeholders in this cultural economy – “the players”.
There will also be three other playing fields in the project, the commentators, the website and the telegram channel:
- Throughout the project, seven practitioners and theoreticians will generate reflections about the topics at hand, and publish them on the various project media channels as well as within their own networks.
- The website will serve as an archive of the project and will be designed as a gamified virtual space that can be explored by audience members using avatars, who can also interact with each other while exploring the content on the website.
- The Telegram group will function as a moderated performative space in which regular events, conversations and exchange of resources will take place.